Monday, November 1, 2010

Generation Me on Service...


We are all aware of the terms “baby boomers”, “Generation X”, and “Generation Y” but are you aware that a new generation has been coined?  Well, there has been.  Many psychologists have coined the term “Generation Me,” or “GenMe” for short.  According to psychologist Jean Twenge, GenMe folks are more confident, assertive, entitled, and more miserable than ever before[i].  You are probably thinking, what in the world does this have to do with service??  In fact, Generation Me’s have a lot to do with service!  Last year alone there was dramatic increase in the number of recent graduates devoting a year or more to serve others in one of the nations many service organizations, such as AmeriCorps, Jesuit Volunteer Corps, or the Peace Corps.  This causes one to think, what is it that has made a generation so entitled and self-absorbed (that they feel the need to “tweet” or Facebook their every move) serve others?  To be honest, there is no one answer to this question, but as a GenMe, I am going to do my best to answer it. 

It has been forty-four days since my fellow AmeriCorps and I began to eat, sleep and breathe service.  Throughout the last month and a half, I have planned and staffed nearly twenty service projects, all of which were being vastly different from the next. However, one content remained the same, the number of students, young professionals, and yes, even kids, willing to take time out of their busy lives to give back to their community at large.  This got me thinking of the increase in individuals dedicating time after college to service.  Are young people getting more involved in service due to social influences around them such as the First Lady’s, because it makes them look good, or in fact because they have the drive and passion to make a difference, no matter how small.  Even in an office full of individuals devoted to making a difference, the reasoning behind doing what we do is unique to the individual.  For me, it’s a combination of beliefs bestowed upon me during my years of education as well as personal experiences and aspirations that have drawn me to a world full of service and giving to the community.  With the goal of becoming an International Human Rights attorney, there is no better way for me to spend the transitional year between my undergraduate career and law school then to work for a non-profit such as Jersey Cares, which is devoted to engaging individuals in service by making it as accessible and easy as possible.

It has been my privilege to serve as a young volunteer through Jersey Cares.  I look forward to seeing my fellow recent graduates engage in acts of service as well.


[i]  (Twenge, 2006)


-Paul Renaud
Jersey Cares AmeriCorps Member

No comments:

Post a Comment