Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Year of Service

AmeriCorps National Direct Service member Heather McGreevy has served as our Volunteer Relations Coordinator for the better part of a year, shepherding groups and teams of volunteers through registration and introducing them to our monthly volunteer projects. We're very sad to see Heather go, and before she leaves we've asked her to share her takeaways from a year of dedicated service with you.

At the start of my term I embarked on a 1700 hour journey that would take me not only all over New Jersey, but to a different space in which to think, a different lens to view the world, and a new found appreciation for volunteers. My experience as a Jersey Cares AmeriCorps member has given me the opportunity to be Oz’s wizard behind the curtain enabling thousands of New Jersey citizens to be the change for their community.  Their direct service to those in need has been at many times awe-inspiring, heartwarming, and impressive. In October, I became familiar with Christopher who is probably my most celebrated volunteer from this experience. A year ago Christopher’s mom asked her then 7 year old son to button up on his way to the bus stop. When he asked why, she responded that not everyone was as lucky to have a coat as he was.  Determined to put a warm coat on as many New Jersey residents as he could, Christopher set out on a campaign that would inspire his neighbors, business owners, and fellow students in his town of Hillsborough.  

With what started as knocking on a few doors, distributing some flyers, and placing a bin outside his door Christopher has grown his coat collection effort so that it composed nearly 15% of the 40,000 coats collected throughout New Jersey this past year. He reminds us that building a better community can start with something as simple as a bin outside your house. His effort reinforces the idea that grand plans and complicated systems are not necessary to have great impact. Christopher’s enthusiasm to do good for his community at such a young age was beyond inspiring. His ability to mobilize his neighbors I found unbelievably humbling.  Only a little over a month into my year of service and I had encountered one of Jersey’s premier citizens with a heart bigger than the moon.

Christopher is only one of many volunteers who have been a source of inspiration and hope throughout my year of service. A man who has led other volunteers in projects for 15 years, a woman who doesn’t let a blizzard stop her from attending a project, a teenager who thrives on feeding those who would go without – these are the heroes I have the utmost privilege to work with each and every day for the last year.  It has been nothing short of an honor to work for and alongside these local change agents. The power of volunteerism to impact meaningful change in a community can be difficult to measure, but this seemingly intangible and most certainly indomitable force can effect sustainable change for generations to come.  For these volunteers, volunteering isn’t a requirement. It’s not a chore.  It’s not an inconvenience.  For them it’s a way of life.  It’s a great way to end the day. It’s a passion to help their neighbors. It is an unquestionable commitment to being the change.

The year has not been without its challenges, but throughout the experience I will always return to the volunteers and how much I admire their efforts. I have the very special job of going home each day knowing that I helped make it happen.  I have the humbling experience of knowing I am only a very small part in their amazing work. Over 1700 hours later I am honored to have participated in the national service movement as an AmeriCorps member. Thanks for reading. I hope you’ll take the time to be the change in the coming months.

-By Heather McGreevy

No comments:

Post a Comment